Thursday 27 August 2009

O.S.M. Cycle Ind. The 'Dobson'...

George Bernard Shaw said, 'Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
Which is basically the process I used to build this bicycle...
There are those who may assume that I named this bicycle the 'Dobson' in homage to my favourite out-of-print pamphleteer...
They would be wrong...
The name 'Dobson' comes from a steep hill in my home village of Summerbridge in the Yorkshire dales.
As a child I could never ride my Vindec Speedster up Dobson Bank. Since then, every time I've built a bicycle I find myself thinking 'could I ride this up Dobson..?'
The years have passed under various sets of wheels that have taken me up every major climb in the country (I used to be a member of Audax U.K.) but Dobson Bank remains the bench-mark...
Another of the influences for this build is, obviously, the Pashley Guv'nor (how much??!!!) but I found that, when the handlebars were in the 'racing' position, my back hurt...
I've added Mucky Nutz beer bottle bar plugs supplied by Charlie the Bike Monger...
Sadly non of the bottled beers I like have printed tops...
Gold chain and a leather chain-stay protector supplied by Freshtripe Bikes...
My beloved Lepper saddle...
I took the bike out for a test ride and it's as near perfect as I could hope for. I didn't even need to adjust the gears. They worked first time...
(Still needs a 20 tooth rear sprocket or I need to get fitter...)
I can now say that my 'bicycle building phase' is over. At last....

1 comments:

Unknown said...

A damned fine cycle indeed... and lovely bar end caps too.
All the best Charlie