Sunday 6 September 2009

Adventures In Modern Cycling No. 6: Rowlands Castle..

I have decided to ride the 17th Gridiron 100Km Randonee in October so I need to put some miles into my legs...
Felpham to Rowlands Castle and back is around 35-40 miles and there's a nice cafe in Rowlands Castle...
Standard ride outward to Chichester then to Fishboure on the South Coast Cycle Route (No. 2)...
The nice bit ends at one of the best local cycle shops Barreg Cycles (their so good they don't need a website and you should see the collection of vintage bikes awaiting resto in their 'scrap' yard..) then you hit the old A27...
I can't find a single reason to recommend this piece of road to anyone. I don't mind mixing with traffic but this route is just depressing and into the wind...
I arrived in Rowlands Castle and enjoyed a cuppa and a slice of carrot cake whilst having a chat to an earnest middle-aged female tri-athlete on a 10 mile training run...
The return journey was a joy. I followed a gently rolling route down to Funtington and on to Chichester...
I forgot to take my mobile phone. If I had I'd have posted a picture of three horses in a field, a piece of carrot cake, a vintage side-by-side tricycle and an annoying wasp...

0 comments: