Monday 14 September 2009

Adventures In Modern Cycling No. 7: Petworth and Beyond...

At the invitation of my friend Jane, I set off for Petworth. A small town dominated by Petworth House. This time the route wasn't so much a test of the bike but of the rider...
Oh how I suffered...
It would be easy to blame the gearing on the bike but, in truth, it was all down to my lack of fitness. The slow steady climb out of Eartham nearly turned my lungs inside out....
I'd regained some my composure by the time I'd started to notice members of the local cycle club passing in the opposite direction. I refused to acknowledge them on the basis that non were sporting cravats and still insisted on wearing out-moded skin-tight lycra outfits...
The decent of Duncton hill provided an opportunity to marvel at the downs scenery from a purpose built vantage point and then, on re-mounting my bike, shout 'wheeeeeee..' to annoy the club-men struggling up the hill...
About a mile outside Petworth is the Coultershaw Beam Pump. It's a place I've driven past many times thinking 'I must go there one day'. Well, today's the day...
At the bottom of this post is a little film I made of it's interesting bits. The pump's only purpose now-a-days (aside from attracting people like me) is to provide a pleasing fountain...
Should the opportunity arise for a visit I recommend it...
Having bought a Coultershaw Beam Pump tea-towel featuring an exploded view of the installation I set off for tea and flapjack at Jane's. I was introduced to Roxy who it's difficult not to love...
After eating, drinking and shooting the breeze I'm back on the road heading for a folk music session at the Labouring Man pub in Coldwaltham. Before launching into some frenzied banjo flayling I sat awhile in front of this fire and contemplated my cycling performance...
Will I be fit enough to ride the Gridiron...?
Time (and a 20 tooth sprocket) will tell...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi you need to come over and join us at www.customcycles.info Iain,akaqwerty5oo