Wednesday 27 January 2010

Nearly a 1958 Meccano 0 Outfit...

I've collected quite an amount of old Meccano parts over the last couple of years...
My initial idea was to use them in my on-going projects rather than build the pieces suggested in the instruction leaflets...
I was messing about re-designing the Waving Machine when I found myself wondering 'what would have been in a set the year I was born (1958)..?
It looked like this:


Trust me to be born in a year when Meccano was undergoing a bit of a re-vamp (mainly lightening the colours..)
Having done some internets research (my thanks to Melvyn Wright's site The Meccano Light Red and Green Period) I managed to put together the bulk of the '0' set...


I've 'up-graded' the crank piece to one with a grip..

Missing Parts:
4 x Spring Clips
1 x Original Screwdriver
18 x Cheesehead bolts
2 x 3/8ths Bolts
1x Small Parts Tin
2 x Grey Motor Tyres (mine have black rubber rings fitted)

My plan is to create a 'Deluxe' 1958 Meccano 0 Outfit by re-finishing the parts, replacing the nuts, bolts & washers with brass equivalents and packaging the outfit in a plush lined wooden box C/W instruction pamphlet...
The next stage will be to make up the 0 accessory outfit that upgrades the 0 outfit into a No. 1 set...

I've also noticed I have enough gear parts to make up the Meccano Gears Outfit B...


Good grief...!
I think I've just developed a business plan...

0 comments: