Tuesday 5 January 2010

Sundry Mortifications No. 6 Vinyl...


I took the bag of rubbish that accumulated over the Xmas period to the local amenity facility hub..
I noticed the corner of a turn-table poking out from under a box in the boot of a car next to me...
I've been on the look out for record player to enable me to transform what remains of my record collection into something I can use on my iPod...
The owner was more than happy for me to take it away telling me that he'd only used it a couple of times before putting it in the loft 20 years ago...
It's a Toshiba SM 2900 Stereo Music Centre...
I tossed the speakers and linked it up to my custom built cabinet...
The most difficult decision I faced was which of my precious collection I was going to spin first. I picked five possibles then closed my eyes, sort of shuffled them, dropped one on the floor and found I'd selected "Rock and Roll with the Modern Lovers" by Jonathan Richmond and The Modern Lovers...
Groovy...
On starting the deck a low 'rumble' came out of the speakers then, on adjusting the volume knob, a horrible crackling. Needle in the groove and...
Let's just say the results were somewhat disappointing and my search for a decent record player continues...
I'll have to keep the music centre for the time being just to play the Modern Lovers album which instantly became Linda's favourite music and has been playing constantly ever since (except when I got to play "The Best of Scott Walker"). To be honest I'm a bit sick of it...

0 comments: