Friday 19 March 2010

Manly Pursuits No. 7: Building A Raised Bed Planter....

It's that weird phony period in the garden when I know things are going to start happening very soon so I'd better start making preparations...
Linda keeps rescuing plants from the compost heap at the nursery where she works and brings them home to revive them and we're running out of space to plant them in...
I 'liberated' some wood from a house demolition and imagined a vague design to put in this space:

After much measuring, sawing, swearing and hammering I ended up with this two tier planter:

Now all that remains to be done is for the contents of our compost bin, several bags of donkey manure and some top soil to be added (Linda's department..) and it can be planted up (also Linda's department...)
The view from my shed (Linda up to her eyeballs in animal excrement and decaying vegetable matter...) just gets better all the time...

3 comments:

Marrock said...

I always liked it when someone made multiple tiers with that sort of thing, looks so much better than just plunking down a box and calling it done.

I once made something similar with my father once and I can remember all the "fun" I had drilling holes and driving rebar into it to tie it all together and to the ground... my arms hurt just thinking about it.

OutaSpaceMan said...

I'm really getting into this sort of thing...
It's much more fun than working in 1/32nds of an inch...

I've got loads of planks left and Linda doesn't look like stopping bringing sick plants home any time soon...

Marrock said...

Just don't make anything large enough to hide a body in... might give her ideas.