Sunday 4 April 2010

Cartoons.



When I was a child the television scheduals were dominated by a programme called 'Test Card'.
'Test Card' was hosted by a human female child and her rag doll clown assistant.
The show played the cutting edge instrumental tunes of the day, my particular favourite being the electronic classic 'A 440Hz'.
Good as this show was my preferred viewing was always cartoons.
I would scour the listings magazines (Radio Times and T.V. Times) looking for examples of the form.
I would sit quietly in front of the screen waiting, waiting.
Tom and Jerry (younger people may know them as 'Itchy and Scratchy') any of the Warner Bros stable (I'm probably using the word 'stable' in it's literal sense there) and, at a pinch, the Hanna Barbera output.
Every now and then I'd hit on a Marzipan and Marmite flavoured confection.
'Award Winning Cartoon from (insert name of belegured Easten European soviet satellite country here)'
My tiny heart would sink.

How times have changed.

I now call cartoons animations.

During my late night/early morning recording sessions I have the television on in the background silently playing the animations of the Quay Brothers or, Brothers Quay or, Tim and Steve or, Steve and Tim.
Though them I found the work of Jan Å vankmajer which bowls me over, especially his version of The Castle of Ortanto, Walerain Borowxzyk whose 'Les Jeux des Anges' I find completely incomprehensible yet frightens me for some reason.

I'm really a tourist in a foreign land as far as these artists are concerned and am finding wading through their work deeply inspiring yet, from time to time, I still yearn to see a coyote have an anvil dropped from a great height on to it's head by a small bird of the cuckoo family.

2 comments:

dobson said...

Did you ever see the Jan Svankmajer animation with the two magicians? I think it was called "The Last Trick".

OutaSpaceMan said...

I'm wading through what I can find on YouTube.
I'll see if I find 'The Last Trick'.

Thanks for the tip.