Thursday 13 May 2010

Weapon Of Choice No. 02: The Resonator Guitar.


I'm preparing to play some of my songs on the local hospital radio's folk music show.
I'm genuinely humbled at being asked to perform on what will be the show's seventh anniversary programme.
I've had to be very careful in my selection of material.
No songs involving death or heartbreak which, more or less, cuts out 95% of my songs.
My instrument selection has been a difficult one as well.
I have, at last count, 7 different guitars and my banjo (which is actually a hybrid with a banjo body and a guitar neck.)
Under normal circumstances I'd use the banjo (guitjo, bantar?) but whenever I turn up at sessions I've noticed a certain 'look' in people's eyes that suggests they'd rather I'd left it at home.
Obviously my electric guitars are out of the question though why nowadays this should be is a mystery to me.
My 'good' acoustic guitar needs a new set of (expensive) strings and I'm beginning to find the action to high to it play cleanly under pressure.
My choice then boils down to my 'working' guitar (pictured above).
I was under the influence of alcohol when I impulse bought it from one of those shops where smack/crack heads exchange stolen goods for cash and have found it to be an excellent general purpose instrument.
In fact I'm tempted to rid myself of all the other guitars, apart from the banjo thing, fit a pick-up to it and live happily ever after with a guitar I don't have to think about.
The odd thing about all this is that I don't consider myself to be a guitarist it's just a convenient way of accompanying myself while I sing.
Anyway, must practice now.

1 comments:

Colin said...

Is that a wood-burning stove that I discern behind said instrument?
I have a few spare logs if you're desperate!