Tuesday 27 July 2010

Adventures In Modern Cycling No. 13: Arundel.

I know the signs and the signs are obvious I've got another nasty attack of bicycles.
I didn't set off to visit Arundel. My plan was to bypass it and head for the top of Bury hill just to prove to myself I could do the long climb to the top but, as I approached the town, I thought I'd just pop in to Peglers outdoor pursuit equipment shop and have a look for a new pair of walking shoes (although most of them look like 'trainers' nowadays).

I followed the South Coast Cycleway from Felpham to just beyond Yapton then did a left toward the village of Ford where the majority part of the population resides at her majesty's pleasure.

Ford is an 'open' prison, which seems to mean that one can come and go as one pleases, filled with naughty professional type crims.
BTW Drinking the water here is a sure fire cure for Alzheimer's  disease as evidenced by the miraculous recovery of one Ernest Saunders.
Top tip here, should you find yourself penniless and in need of alcohol, drugs or mobile phones have a poke around in the bushes between the prison and Ford railway station where these items are carelessly dropped on a daily basis.

Past the level crossing at Ford railway station is where I decide to make a bit of an effort, slip into top gear and pick off the other cyclists on the road ahead of me. It all goes well and my lungs stay in my chest.

Arundel is a cute little town made out of money, antique shops and a big castle non of which holds any interest for me as I enter Peglers.  I tell the polite youth behind the counter what my requirements are knowing full well that even if they have the type of shoe I'm after they won't have it in my size.
The polite youth returns with exactly what I've asked for in my size and tells me that they've been reduced to £40 in the sale.
I now recommend Peglers for all your outdoor equipment needs.

My new shoes only just fit into my bag and I decide not to ride to the top of Bury hill. Instead I head back the way I came and visit the Ship and Anchor pub.
I've never been to this pub before and to be honest it looks unprepossessing (next door to a campsite).
On entering I'm surprised at the range of real ales and even more surprised to find my favourite beer, Betty Stoggs bitter, not only that but they do bowls of cheesy chips. Result!

Whist eating, drinking and batting wasps away I notice an example of the type of building I like.

Probably made entirely from asbestos.

The rest of the ride home is uneventful and ends with a large pot of tea and chocolate biscuits.
Tonight's BBC 4 schedule has 3 bicycle related programmes listed.
This is as near to a perfect day as I've had all year.

1 comments:

The City Folk Club said...

Jane and I found The Ship and Anchor near Ford a most welcoming hostelry.
The campers were all out for the day, possibly at Gaugemaster's annual model railway exhibition. That event was hot and 'steamy'- remarkably uninteresting, even though I was wearing my very best anorak.
"Let's go home now," said Jane.
"Fine," I replied, "but I know a pub on the way!"