Sunday 29 August 2010

Zeitgeist!

I felt there was something in the air a couple of years ago.
People of my acquaintance who don't know much about music started talking about the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain (they've been together for around 25 years now!)
Last September, as I was 'training' to ride the Gridiron Randonee, I pedaled through Worthing and was quite dismissive of the town due to it's lack of dedicated cycle paths (now remedied I notice) but what I failed to mention was, on leaving the town, hearing the massed strumming of ukuleles coming from the Worthing Rowing Club.
I was curious about what was going on but didn't have the time to investigate.

Move forward to July of this year when I was contacted by Mr. Frank Key asking me to contact Resonance 104.4 FM magnifico Mr. Ed Baxter (see IoS Happy List 2009) about the up coming international ukulele festival in Worthing. I am in turn put in touch with the lovely Daniela who asked me if I would distribute promotional material for the festival around Bognor Regis and Chichester.

Turns out Daniela also runs a ukulele jam... in Worthing.  Thus the mystery of the uke strumming I heard last year was solved.

And so today, along with my friends Jane and Angela, I pay my first visit to a ukulele jam.
The Wukulele (Worthing ukulele jam) is held at the Worthing Rowing Club on the last Sunday of the month between 12 & 2.
It's fantastic!
Look at this picture of happy people with their ukes:
The picture only shows about half of the people attending.
Notice the range of ages participating.
It's got everything!
There's even a man with a beard.

Working from a downloadable set of song books, we twanged and plunked through loads of great tunes
accompanied by an excellent double bass player. I couldn't stop myself grinning from ear to ear all the way through.
Here's a picture of Jane, Angela and myself grinning:
(Yes you can play kazoos as well in the bits where the lead breaks should go.)
Technical note: My uke is bigger than usual because it's a baritone version.

So here's my recommendation for achieving happiness for at least 2 hours a month.
Buy yourself a ukulele and find a local uke jam.
If you can't find a local jam, buy yourself a uke and start one.

You should also book a holiday in Worthing from the 8th to the 10th of October and visit the Wukulele Festival 2010.
(If things go well you may even get to see Jane and me performing on the fringe.)
I'm convinced this is the way forward for happiness in our modern world.

1 comments:

Oldfool said...

I am quite familiar with the "Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain" as one of my "Pandora "radio stations is named that.
I have and play a concert Uke and used to have a tenor but I gave it to a old friend. An older gent who played it and sang with great joy.
I didn't say I play good just that I play. Those that don't like it should get out of ear shot as I am not going to stop this side of the grave. I heard someone mumble once that those conditions were acceptable. Been watching my back ever since.