Saturday 15 January 2011

Sundry Mortifications No16: Bottom of the Bottle.


I wrote this song in 2005 and it generally goes down well where ever I play it.
About 3 years ago a man with a leather waistcoat and a grey ponytail collared me and said he was sure he'd heard it before and thought it might be one of George Jones' songs.
I assured him that I'd written it but he was still unconvinced and went away mumbling.
I finally get round to recording a video of it and, as soon as it appears on my YouTube channel, I see that there are several songs that share the name.
The most distressing version, for me, is by Ira Louvin:
Bottom of the Bottle
The first two lines he sings turn up in my song.
I can honestly say I'd never heard Mr. Louvin's song before in my life but I know exactly what he means.

3 comments:

The City Folk Club said...

I was there at an early (?debut) performance of this song. There were grateful tears in the eyes of some sensitive members of the audience.
I hereby attest that it really was OSM's work.

OutaSpaceMan said...

Y'see now, everybody needs a Dogsbody!

James. said...

Put it down to sycronisity...I liked it, nice meloncolly little number, well done.