Thursday 14 July 2011

From Our Radio Correspondent.


In response to my dedicating CRI 195 to him, Berry made the following comment which I felt was just to good to hide in the comments section:

Well now strange as it might sound my very first wireless was made not from card but from a block of wood! I received it from my father in about 1946 because toys were in such short supply after the war. I used to call it my "Wingle Wangle Wireless" although I have no idea why! Everyone remembered this and didn't spare my blushes as they reported it. I was 25 at the time! Now I'm grateful that it sparked my imagination. I could invent my own wireless programmes and even be in them. Sometimes I would present record selections using old 78's on a wind-up gramophone. At other times I was my own Dick Barton Special Agent climbing all over things to get my quarry. I wrote all the scripts and did all my own sound effects. Since the radio needed no power it may still be working somewhere. Let's see if we can hear it.

Yes, let's.

1 comments:

The City Folk Club said...

I know this man.
Kindly advise as to what is NORMAL about a being of such youthful good looks, full head of hair - no grey, unfailing intellect, can still captivate audiences much younger than himself, AND who qualifies to draw a state pension?
Life just ain't fair!