Tuesday 16 August 2011

Blue Moon GR 3604 Baritone/Tenor (?) Ukulele. (A Week Later.)

Having twanged away at this uke for a week now, I'm really beginning to like it.
Mystic Roger suggests that the action could be lowered even more.
(Involving shaving the nut and a bit more off the bridge.)
I'm happy with the action, for now, as I'm more interested in learning to play it.
Yes, I can the ukulele. Quite well as it happens thank-you very much. What I mean is, learning to play this specific instrument.

The re-entrant DoGBonE tuning is interesting.
On my Ashbury I use the low D string as the foundation of my playing but that style doesn't sound 'right' on a high D string.

The strummed sound is still quite indistinct but finger-picking reveals a surprising instrument, almost lute sounding.
I tried dropping the tuning of the G string to E and got all, sort of, mediaeval.

I've recorded the Ashbury and the Blue Moon together and can't say I favour either sound as they're different and complimentary to one another.

Brings me to another feeling of mine about 'cheap' instruments.
I prefer budget/broken/toy instruments to uber-expensive types.
There's always some unique something to be found in a cheap instrument.
If you're prepared to search for it.

0 comments: