Tuesday 9 August 2011

Blue Moon GR 3604 Tenor Ukulele. (Up-dated)

According to the label my tenor ukulele was manufactured on the 10 May 2005 by the Romanian company Hora for the Gremlin Musical Instrument Company (which I believe to be the distribution part of the Hobgoblin organisation).
The model number is shown as GR 3604.  Unfortunately I've been unable to find anything about this specific uke on the internet.
Standing it next to my Ashbury Baritone uke I'm surprised to find that the tenor's body is actually larger than the baritone yet not as deep.
The scale length is around 470 mm (18.5 inches) compared to around 515 mm (20+ inches) on the baritone.
The build quality can best be described as 'budget'.
The neck is beginning to show signs of 'bending'. It's not especially pronounced at the moment, I'll keep my eye on it.
The bridge saddle is quite high causing the instrument to be virtually unplayable above the 5th fret so the first job is to shave 2mm from it.
One of the machine-heads has become loose though it still works.  (I plan to replace all of them sometime in the future).
This uke was originally stung with a low 'G'.
I'm going to replace the strings re-entrant style.
A set of LaBella Tenor uke strings will set me back £10.95 which I think is expensive but I've got a plan.
The local Sue Ryder charity shop sells sets of 'classical' guitar strings for £1.99 a time.
I bought two sets.
Before I fit the new strings however (and because I can't leave well enough alone) I'm going to add a new inner label.
I'd never consider doing this to a good quality instrument.
This uke isn't troubled by any discernible level of quality that would make it unique.
A nice William Morris paper print should do the trick.
Fitting the strings is the usual nail-biting, edge of the seat experience.
I used one pack of strings so:
A = E string .027
E = G string .041
C = D string (wound) .031
G = B string .034

I'd describe the sound as lacking distinction, dull perhaps.
Even with the action lowered it still feels heavy to play.
Non of this matters of course because it's still a ukulele!
Footnote:
I've been playing it for around 2 hours now and I've just noticed that the bridge is starting to pull forward alarmingly.
Hmmmmm....

I've decided that this instrument is not a Tenor uke, but a Baritone uke.
I've dropped all the strings by a 5th and suddenly it's become quite a pleasant mellow instrument to play.
The disturbing tension, not mention some of the bending, has gone.
Yep, it's a Baritone alright.

0 comments: