Saturday 26 November 2011

Ducky Pegs.

CRI's & music aside, I haven't made anything for awhile. Which makes me itch.

I've had an piece of interesting driftwood nailed to the front of my shed for years.
Blue Pointer Indicates Area Under Discussion
Then it fell off.
I trimmed the ends up that time, and woodlice, had compromised.
Then I left it somewhere and forgot about it.

This week I was having a root-around in one of the many drawers-of-interesting-things in the flat and found a coat-hanger shaped like a duck's head.
It seemed so 'naff'.
Then I remembered seeing another one exactly like it, but couldn't remember where I'd seen it.
It took me two days to find it.  It was screwed to the back of the door in the back room.

Dressing gowns are a nuisance.
When they're not being worn they just lay about on the bed doing nothing all day.
Well, nothing except being untidy I s'pose.
What they need is a peg to hang on so they can be ready at a moments notice.

I held a duck peg up to the wall and it just looked a bit 'sad' really.
Like when people have a really slick kitchen fitted but screw a cup hook into the front of one of the doors to hang a tea-towel on.
(Prefer Aga's m'self. Tea towels look good hanging on the front of an Aga.)

Now the dim bulb starts to glow.
What's needed is a 'something' to mount the duck pegs on which can then be screwed to the wall.
So, that's that problem solved.

Some days pass.
I am obsessively re-arranging various items in my attic hide-away.
I find the piece of driftwood.
Then this happens:
The Parts Come Together
Four screws later I have something that can be fitted to a wall.
Which is a complex process involving:

  • A No.8 Wood Bit
  • A No.8 Masonry Bit
  • An Ancient Black & Decker Drill
  • An Electrical Extension
  • Two Screws
  • Two Wall Plugs
  • A Screwdriver 
  • A Spirt Level
  • My Reading Glasses

I called on the wisdom of my ancestors, various things happened and the end result looked like this:
Result of Process
 As the new facility has a nautical aspect (ish) I added some appropriate decoration:
"Giant Duck Peg Off the Port Bow C'pn!"
I tested it's intended purpose:
A Success.
Flushed with my achievement, I hung the diving lady up over the mirror:
Bombs Away!

0 comments: