Monday 16 January 2012

Glass Back.

I first experienced the excruciating world of pain a 'slipped disc' can bring when I was around 21.
I travelled to my Doctor's, 5 miles away, standing up on an empty bus.
When I got into the surgery I was invited to sit down.
I explained I couldn't sit down because of my back.
Without further questioning or examination my Doctor asked me how long I wanted a sick-note for.
I told him I didn't really want a sick-note I wanted him to do something to stop my back hurting so I could get back to work.
Turns out there was nothing he could, or was willing, to do so I took the sick note and headed home.
Then I remembered that osteopaths did something with backs.
I consulted the first one in the telephone directory, got an appointment straight away and, after a bit of manipulation and £25, I got back to work 2 days later.

This went on for years.
On average I was getting, what I now call 'flare-ups', 2 or 3 times a year.
As I got older the flare-ups became more debilitating, the recovery periods grew longer and the osteopath's bills went up.

The break-point came after a really nasty flare-up.
I had to wait for two days until I was able to walk.
I went to the osteopath before going to get my sick note.
The osteopath told me that I should now think in terms of my back problem as a chronic condition that would need me to visit him on at least a monthly basis for the rest of my miserable pain filled life.

I went to my doctor (a different one to the original) and told her the osteopath's  conclusions.
My doctor seemed to explode internally.
She consulted my medical record.
"This has been going on for years!" she said.
I couldn't disagree.
"And nobody did anything?" she asked.
I shook my head, even though the pain it caused nearly brought tears to my eyes.
" Right, you have two choices, you can carry on giving money to that osteopath for the rest of your life of pain or, I can send you on a Back Rehabilitation Course".
The Back Rehab course sounded like the better option.

It was.
A one hour a day, twelve day course that explained the roots of my condition, gave me an armoury of techniques to combat it and lots of really useful advice on how to avoid further flare-ups.
The biggest problem I had was believing that the progressively worsening flare-ups would one day be permanent.
I now know that's not the case.

Let's go through a typical flare-up.
I will be doing something innocuous, like reaching up to replace a lightbulb.
I will feel the vertebra at the bottom of my back 'pop'.
I know then I've got about 24 hours before I'm incapacitated and load myself with the strongest ibuprofen I can lay my hands on and carry on as if nothing has happened.
The following day, when I'm viewed from the front, I'm sort of 'S' shaped, find it very difficult to move at all and am in excruciating pain.
More ibuprofen some light exercises and rest.
The following day, still in excruciating pain, more ibuprofen and, after a series of exercises, I set off on a very, very long walk.
The walk can take up to 5 or 6 hours, the first mile or so can take up to 2 hours to cover, but slowly, slowly my mobility returns.
The third day will be much the same but by the forth day, although I'm still in some considerable pain, I have regained most of my mobility and can usually return to work.

I don't have as many flare-ups as I used to do.
Last year I didn't have any.
The greatest relief is knowing that I won't be permanently crippled, that it's just a matter of time, exercise and ibuprofen before I'm back to, at least, physical normality.

I hope anyone finding themselves in a similar situation finds this post helpful before, in desperation, staggering off toward a charlatan with an eye on their bank account.

5 comments:

Banished To A Pompous Land said...

Sings ...'They want him to go to rehab...'
Been there, done that OSM and at about the same age. I didnt get into the oesteopath thing but I had the same flare-ups. I used to go to work on the bus and I had to get up 2 stops early so Id be standing vaguely upright by the time I got through the door. Same advice in the end, exercise. I joined the gym and did lots of mobility, and work actually had a massage therapist who came in twice a week to deal with those of us chronic bad backers. Got massage therapy and exercises to do at home. It sounds a lot like your rehab stuff.I was doing painkiller/antiinflammatories that started to mess my stomach up something rotten. I was switched to the other type, same stuff...different delivery system. Lets put it this way, it was a much shorter distance to the lower back. But pretty much sorted now, odd bouts of sciatica but nothing debilitating. I wonder... was there something ergonomically iffy about the desks at St Aidans? Or maybe it was the ugly stools at the Cock and Castle?

OutaSpaceMan said...

I think it might have something to do with being over 6 feet tall in a 5' 8" world.

Banished To A Pompous Land said...

Very true

Glyn said...

That sounds like an awful condition, but I'm you finally found competent advice. I'd like repeat your story to anyone contemplating going to an osteopath or chiropractor, if that's okay. Save someone some misery...

OutaSpaceMan said...

You're an SGU man just as I am.
It's our duty to spread the message.

OSM