Tuesday 21 February 2012

Windsor Whirle Ukulele Banjo No.4: Restoration Finished.

The last hurdle of the Whirle restoration has been cleared.
The reason it's taken so long is I didn't know what the guides for the machine-heads were called.
Guides, sleves?
No, they're ferrules.
I bought a pack of 6 from CD Guitars in Penge.

A little light drilling, some precision hammering, and they're in:
Machine-heads refitted:
One day, in a perfect world, I'll replace them with some nice 'tulip' types in a mint green colour.

Quick trip to the Sue Ryder charity shop for a set of steel strings (£1.99, bargain) and the job's done:
I've used string gauges: .012, .016, .017 & .013.
My plan at this stage was to record a short sound file to give an idea of how this instrument sounds but it's going to take a day or so of vigorous flailing to get the strings bedded in.
A truth worth remembering is this instrument will NEVER sound pretty because, let's face it, it's basically a banjo.

2 comments:

Glyn said...

New ferrules from Penge. Good.

OutaSpaceMan said...

I never plan that sort of thing.
It just sort of happens to me.