Saturday 10 March 2012

The Cycle-Motor Project: Oh, When Will It Ever End?

In the last thrilling instalment of The Cycle-Motor Project (see here) the bike looked like this:
It needed a drive chain (done).
It needed 2 clips for the fuel line (done).
It needed the kill-switch connecting (I'm working on it).
It needed a longer H.T. lead to the spark-plug (Monday).
It needed some anti-fray ferrules for various control cables. (Monday).
It needed fuel (as soon as the to-do list is complete).

Several more little 'issues' have appeared since I abandoned the build last May.
I bought a new drive-chain that has to be tensioned by a horrible piece of steel and a crappy plastic jockey-wheel.
Today I tried to align all the bits but had to give up when the process became so frustrating that my vigorous swearing began to frighten the neighbour's children.

I don't like the handlebars and I'm going to fit the bar that I took off my winter bike.

The one significant success I had today, and it really was a break-through, was getting the throttle-cable working properly.
(I haven't mentioned the throttle-cable before because I hadn't realised it wasn't working correctly.)

And that small victory tipped the balance of the day.
The sun came out, happy little birds began to sing, and I could finally see my way to the end of this long road.

Now the plan is to have the project finished to a working standard by the end of next week.
So I probably won't post about it again till late 2013.

I suffered a further misfortune later in the afternoon.
I was moving the 'Dobson' out of the shed and into the attic, where I intend stripping it down to give it a super-service.
I didn't fully locked the attic access ladder into place and it collapsed from under me as I was two thirds of the way up with the 'Dobson' on my back.
Yes, it hurt.
As my Father used to say to me when ever I did something like this during my childhood, "You won't do that again, will you?".

(No, I f*^king won't!!!!... arrrrhhhh, whimper, whimper.)

0 comments: