Tuesday 11 September 2012

Adventures In Modern Cycling: Apollo Veho II Winter Prep.

It's not quite October yet, the month when I traditionally change over to riding my winter bike, but there's quite a bit of work to do on the Apollo Veho II if I'm going to use it through the winter.

 It might be worth having a quick read of the posting from January this year Adventures In Modern Cycling: Apollo Veho II Update.

This bicycle was cheap.
I knew it was cheap.
I didn't expect very much from it.

It came fitted with "Grip Shifters" (SRAM I think).
I remember many, many years ago when the first generation of this type of gear shifter appeared on the U.K. MTB scene.
They weren't popular, certainly around the cutting edge types that were members of the YMBC.
I don't like them one little bit.
But all this is illelephant because I have a plan.

SINGLE SPEED, ALL YOU NEED! (especially when all you do is potter about on the strip of land between the South Downs and the sea).

I removed the HEAVY steel triple chain wheel and replaced it with a set of lovely Shimano Deore cranks fitted with a single chain wheel and no I can't remember how many teeth it has:
IMG_6025
The rear mech has been removed, along with 3 inches of chain, and a chain tensioner fitted:
IMG_6026
I do intend reducing the block down to a single cog once I decided which one of them I'm going to use.
The drive chain now looks very neat and efficient:
IMG_6027
I've replaced the horrid nylon brake levers with some 2 finger alternatives:
IMG_6023
And for no other reason than I like the colour, a new purple Q/R seat clamp:
IMG_6024
To finish off I fitted the titanium bottle cage and rear Crud Catcher I rescued from the red bike.

These changes have stripped a shed-load of weight from the machine and it feels a lot 'livelier' now.
I notice with some alarm that there's rust staining around the frame and fork vent holes but I not surprised.
Still, it looks quite nice:
IMG_6028

I was nearly tempted to go the full fixed gear but I think it's a bit of a fad and running with a freewheel makes the machine a little more flexible for general riding.
All it needs now is a set of handlebar grips and Bob's y'live in lover!

3 comments:

Oldfool said...

I removed the extra front chain wheel on my 1975 Schwinn some time back. Not having a chain tensioner I left the rear derailer. I use two of the sprockets. One is the all 'round for calm day and a lower one when the wind is on the nose, blowing hard and I have a load on (the bike). I seldom ride when I have a load on. I do use two others every two years or so. A higher one (the highest) when I have a following wind of twenty knots or higher and a lower one when pulling a trailer with a 40 pound stump on it. Not often for either of those events.
Leaving the rear cluster gives quick flexibility.
Removing the front shifting mechanism also allows me to have a chain guard.

OutaSpaceMan said...

I bought the chain tensioner for the cycle motor project but didn't use it.
Seemed a shame just to leave it in my spares tin.

Should I return to a geared system, I have a Shimano 105 rear mech that will do the trick.
The problem is finding thumb-shifters.

Now all I've got to do is get out of the habit of back-pedaling to brake.

Oldfool said...

When mixing and matching I use friction shifters. I guard my friction shifters jealously.
I've noticed that my 37 year old stem mounted frictions shifters are still working fine but the box of thumb shifters I have are junk.
As often as I shift the shifter could be mounted on the seat tube or on the chain stay if I didn't have baskets in the way.