Thursday 18 October 2012

Handyman's Pocket Book; Correcting Door In Winding.

This is generally due to a warped stile and can be difficult to cure, but the following is usually effective.  Lay the door on  the bench, hollow side of the stile uppermost.  If it is warped in a general curve divide the length up into four equal parts and at these points cut halfway into the thickness of the stile.  If the ends are now clamped to a straight-edge placed on the underside, it should show if the door is taken out of winding.  If this shows promising, wedges made and fitted as shown in Fig. 1 will tension the stile permanently in position.  Well glue the wedges and clean off.  Put this at the hanging side, using three hinges.  It the door is still a little in winding adjust the door stops to suit.
HandyMan006 - Version 2

3 comments:

Le Sanglier said...

I don't really understand this. What means "in winding?" Warped? I can't visualize the warp-ed-ness that this is fixing. I don't even know what the figure is picturing! I like doors, particularly old oak doors. There is something about a nicely constructed threshold that pleases me as well.

OutaSpaceMan said...

I must admit this had me a bit stumped.
Further research is needed

(I seem to be saying that a lot just recently.)

Le Sanglier said...

So funny... I assumed that of course you would know what the winding thing meant and what it was he was proposing we do to correct it.