Sunday 14 October 2012

Practice, Practice, Practice.

I don't practice playing the ukulele or singing enough.
I try to be disciplined about practicing but I end up getting distra....     Oh! look, a kitten!
Kitteh
Recently I've been trying to structure my practice sessions so I can focus on what I'm supposed to be doing and not letting my mind wande.....   I wonder what's for dinner?
Dinner
So, out goes the vague mental list of songs I'm, sort of, maybe, thinking of, perhaps, singing and playing at any opportunity that may arise, and in comes the rigorously structured, progressive approach that will improve my over all playing.

The method I've devised involves my battered copy of "The Beatles Complete Chord Songbook"and my Concert Ukulele.
IMG_6258
I made a list of the page numbers of the 27 No. 1 hits and another list of the songs on "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band".

I'll point out here that I'm not actually a "fan" of the Beatles but, I do have a great respect for what they achieved, I know all the songs, the 27 No. 1's tend to progress in difficulty*, and if there are any onlookers/listeners they can sing along.
(except for Linda, she's a Stones fan).

I usually start with the 27 No. 1's then onto Sgt. Pepper, the combination of which can take sometime to get through.
Some of Sgt. Pepper is finger & mind twistingly complex when I'm having to think in terms of playing the chord shapes a fifth above those shown in the book less the two 'bass' strings of an ordinary guitar.

Is it worth all the effort?
Yes, it is.
My general playing has improved significantly.

There's another thing that I've had in the back of my mind for a few years now.
Having rounded up an ensemble of amateur musicians & singers, I'd like to have a go at performing 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' in the local village hall.

You never know, it might work.

*(then tail off towards the end when it seems that only Paul could be bothered anymore)

1 comments:

Le Sanglier said...

This is the conundrum of musicians throughout the ages, isn't it? There are times when we have eyes only for our instrument. Then there are times when we let it sit alone in the corner and it glowers at us, sending barbs of confusion and regret into our hearts, as we try to slink past unnoticed.