Tuesday 2 July 2013

The Condition: Yorkshire Steel in the Hour of Chaos.


I am much recovered from what, I'm assuming, was another relapse.

I wrote the Tiresome Development post about a week into the relapse.
The Birthday Treat trip was on the following Friday.
The Ukulele Jazz Indicator was filmed and posted on the Sunday evening.

That was the high spot of the relapse.
I became overwhelmed by morbidity.
Worse was to come.

I'd been booked to do the FIA Conference at Goodwood.
That's a 8.5 mile bicycle ride to Goodwood, anything between 6 and 13 hours work then an 8.5 mile bicycle ride home.

I went to bed early.
I rose at 05:00, breakfast, shower, shave, dress, make Linda a cup tea.
06:00 throw my leg over the bike and...

I'd really been worried about how I'd cope with riding my bicycle, but, strangely, the moment I got the bike rolling I felt, well, not exactly great, but a good deal better than I'd felt in the last two weeks.
The ride was a small happiness in what seemed like a world of doom, a little push in the from a mild breeze and I whisked to work.
I whisked so well in fact I arrived at Goodwood by 06:35 which would have been a good time if I'd been on form let alone relapsing.

9 hours later I returned home, ate, went to bed and repeated this process for 8 days crammed into 5 days.

The 'good' weather became an issue.
When the temperature goes up MS related fatigue echoes the curve.

On the Thursday I attended a meeting of the local branch of the MS Soc.

errr...

I came away a changed person.
The morbidity got a whole lot worse.

To say I was relieved when that week ended is an understatement.
Although it hadn't actually ended.

I'd some book-keeping to do for the builder/odd-job-man that Sir W. employs to maintain his property empire.
I had to do the builder/odd-job-man's accounts (a bag full of mixed receipts and parking tickets) in order to transfer the details over and finish Sir W.'s accounts.

I looked at the spreadsheet then at the carrier-bag full of receipts, turned off the computer, and went to bed.

As I slid between the sheets I noticed the sensation had partially returned to my legs.
The last week had been like wearing a pair of lead boots.

I've continued to revive and my mind is now full of happy kittens again.

No, that's not entirely true.

The meeting of the MS Soc. had a profound effect I'm not sure I really understand the weight of.

But I can tell it's heavy.

0 comments: